Doug and I got engaged on Friday March 12th, 2010. Here is the proposal story:
Doug did a very good job of planning his proposal and making it a surprise for me. He enlisted the help of his best friend Greg and Greg's girlfriend Meg. The plan was to meet them at Mongolian Barbecue for dinner and hang out afterward. I was really looking forward to this since Greg and Meg are going to school at Michigan State so we've only been able to hang out once. Doug passed the restaurant, along with all available parking garages. I was kind of annoyed that Doug wouldn't listen to me when I suggested where to park. Doug had me call Greg to see where they were at and where they were parking so we'd park at the same place. Greg said they had just gotten off the highway. Doug turned onto Depot Road and started to turn around in the Gandy Dancer parking lot, but then stopped right in front of the restaurant doors. I thought maybe he was asking for directions, which was weird since we knew where we were going. The valet took his keys and we walked inside. He asked for reservations under Doug Wrathall. I think it was then that I realized we were eating here, and that Greg and Meg were not joining us. It was then I realized that this was the night, and I was pretty excited.
We ate dinner in a special section of the restaurant called the Alcove, which are private booths for two. It was nice to be able to sit next to eat other and be cuddly since it was a private table. Dinner was absolutely wonderful and our server Laura was so nice. I had Atlantic Salmon and Doug had Filet Mignon. Everything from the rolls to the after-dinner mints was so amazingly delicious. After dinner we got back into the car and Doug handed me a tie of his and told me to use it to blind fold myself for the next part of the date. That was very intriguing and fun. I tried to guess where we were while driving and Doug told me afterward I was pretty accurate.
Once we got to our destination, I didn't have a clue where we were. On the way to the door I tripped over a curb, but don't worry I didn't fall or anything. I started laughing so hard because Doug had forgotten to tell me about the curb - I guess it slipped his mind I was still blind-folded. A man leaving this place asked if I was being held against my will. We got inside and it was a strange experience for me to try and figure out where we were. We were inside of what seemed like a large, empty space. It reminded me of walking into an ice rink. At the entrance there was a cartoon playing in the background, and I could hear a few people talking. We started walking and went from hard floor to carpet. Doug led me along and I bumped into a bunch of stuff. Finally he sat me down on a couch. A couch? Hmm..... He put a blanket on me and told me I could look now. We were in some kind of furniture store that was closing or closed, sitting on a nice leather couch in the middle, with what looked like my blanket from my couch on our laps. Doug then said that he wanted to take me to the nicest couch we could go to at 9pm in Ann Arbor, because our favorite thing to do together is to just sit on a couch and talk and be together. He wanted to make our favorite thing a part of the proposal, and to make it special. He said some very sweet words and asked me to marry him, to which I said, "With all my heart, yes." He gave me a beautiful three stone diamond ring that fits just right. Turns out we were in Art Van, and the employees let us stay for a little while and gave us congratulations. To their knowledge no one has ever proposed in an Art Van before! And it also turns out that it was my blanket from my apartment - he came earlier in the day while I was at school and took it. I didn't even notice it was gone!
And that's how we got engaged!

No comments:
Post a Comment